The first Greenwood Library was started by the Women’s Christian Temperance Union as a circulating library. They placed a tent over the basement of the L.W. Larson home (which burned in the fire of 1885), and held a big dinner there. Each person was asked to give a book. The circulating library was kept in Buland’s drug store.
The library began in a room at the rear of the Farmers and Merchants Bank. Between 1913 and 1914, several locations were used for the library including the former post office and the old Baptist Church. A fire at the church destroyed some of the collection.
In the winter of 1912, a group met to discuss establishing a library for Greenwood. On Jan 22, 1913, officers were elected to establish and maintain a public library. On May 6, 1913, the City took over the library with a budget of $150 yearly and the first library board was established. H.J. Thomas became the librarian followed by Edith Varney. The first month, over 600 books were loaned. Essylath Andrews followed Varney as librarian.
On Sept 10, 1930, a fire of unknown origin happened and the books were moved to the R.E.A. building. On April 30, 1926, the city purchased the Baptist Church for a City Hall and moved the library there, where it remained until the new City Hall was built in 1935. The Greenwood Public Library is still in the same building occupied in 1935.
Nettie Berthold 1971-1976
Alice Braun 1976-1989
Pat Braun 1989-2012
LIBRARY HISTORY BY NETTIE BERTHOLD
1971-P. O. Box rent was $7.20. Nettie was paid $2.30 an hour for 1 day a week for vertical file work.
1972 – “Hardy Boys” books and “Tom Swift” books were purchased for 60cents each.
1974- Clark County joined Wisconsin Valley Library Service
1975-Book budget was $100.
1976 -Alice Braun was appointed as librarian.
1980 – City added 420 square feet on to the library to create the “children’s room”.
1981 – Open House held on March 7, 1981.
1986 – Library received an Apple IIE Computer with Monitor, Printer,
1 box of paper, 2 ribbons for printer, and Appleworks software. Follett software used to enter books on computer.
1986-1989 –The library added volumes to the statewide union catalog known as WISCAT. Sometime later Wisconsin Valley Library Service gave the area libraries a modem which was attached to the computer. This permitted the library to send interlibrary loan requests through electronic transmission. The program was called “Quill”.
1988 – Purchased 1 computer for public use.
1989 – Pat Braun became the Director.
1989 –Microfiche system will be replaced with a CD Rom System.
1990 – City of Greenwood became exempt from the County tax levy. Purchase of an IBM computer to run CD Rom with phone modem. Library will participate in the Centennial with a skit.
1991 – Greenwood Centennial
1992 – Roof leaked – Westerns damaged.
1992 – The rotary phone was replaced with a touch-tone phone.
1993 – State Cash grants eliminated.
1995 –WVLS has received a grant for public libraries to access the internet.
1995 –Once a week courier service will be available soon.
1997 – Consolidated Paper Grant in the amount of $5000 used to purchase computers.
1999 – Building Committee recommended to build new facility instead of renovate the existing one. Teach T-1 lines installed. Bar coding began for V-Cat.
2000 –A Spring Referendum will be held on building city/library building.
2001 –V-Cat installed on-line cataloging.
Library History by Kim Metzke
Library Board of Trustees: Bernie Bock, Dennis Bucheger, Deb Krultz, Cheri Lenz, Judith Pentz, Joyce Rondorf, Gil Sutherland.
6-2012 – Pat Braun retired as Director, Kim Metzke hired as Director
7-2012 – Library remodeling begins replacing nonadjustable shelving throughout library. Wall repair in ‘jail room’ and children’s area completed by Mark Gardner. Painting of entire interior by Larry Rondorf. Children’s section renamed “Kid Zone.”
9-2012 -Day Care Book Drop Off Established and Reading weekly to 7Cs Daycare begins
“It’s About Children” project drew $4250 to spend on improvements in décor, furniture, and books.
11-2012 – Adult Book Club begins and high school volunteers implemented. Teen Advisory Council established.
1-2013 – Library remodeling continues. Laptop purchased. Continue tradition of delivering books to Black River View Apartments.
4-2013 – iPads issued to WVLS Library Directors
5-2013 – Kevin Syth installs new book drop purchased with memorial funds. Open House held to celebrate the library’s centennial. Cheese and crackers and cookies served. Tony Peroshek installs new lights in jail room.
8-2013 – Heidi Venet and Mary Jo Gregorich begin as library assistants to replace C. Scheel. New air dryer (a loud one) placed in restroom to save money. New wall mounted magazine display unit. Microfilm machine and reels of TRG moved to Loyal Public Library. New chairs for computer patrons.
9-2013 - Monthly reading visits to Head Start. Seasonal themed bulletin board established and white boards in both areas. Seasonal book displays and ‘new books’ on display
10-2013 – LSTA Growing Wisconsin Readers Grant $250 for 1000 Books Before Kindergarten Program
11-2013 – new carpet is installed. New ‘big’ chair for Kid Zone. New Clark County plat book release.Coffee Talk Tuesdays begin at 10:30
12-2013 – Story Time Saturdays begin with cookie decorating activity. Caller ID for phone. Library reorganized books more like a bookstore, less reliant on Dewey Decimal. New signage for item location. Project WIN underway (talks of merging WVLS, IFLS, and NWLS).
4-2014 – Game Night held for grades 3-6. 26 students participated. “Duck” Tape Fun for grades 5 and up with 6 students.
5-2014 – Revised loan rules. 14 loan period for all books. 7 day loan period for all DVDs. New items cannot be renewed. New circulation desk installed by Joel Suda. Elementary classes visit library. Brochure created with hours, loan rules, address for online card catalog and Overdrive (WI Digital Library).